Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Pre-Op Appointment.

This is a legit post... long, but legit.

No one told me about all this! haha. Seriously. They did a ton today! We got to the ortho surgeon office and they made me take 3 sets of molds. EW. Silly putty in my mouth. Grosssssss. Then after that the Resident (the helper student surgeon) came in and took a bajillion measurements, and made a mold for my splint with warm wax... He had to take 2 thought because the first one tore. Then after that he had to give me 2 shots!!!!!! A SHOT? WHAT!? No one's blog said anything about a shot! And not only one but 2!?

:,-(

So I pulled my sleeve up like a big girl as the doc gave me a big 'ole shot in my sholder muscle. FYI it HURT! It was burning... ahhh... anyway glad thats past. Then after 2 shots he answered some questions.

How long is this surgery going to take approximently?
4-5 hours

How long am I going to be in the hospital?
1-2 nights depending on how it goes.

How long are the stitches going to be in?
5-7 days. They don't hurt, they are more annoying than anything. They will just fall out on their own.

How long will I be rubber banded shut?
6 weeks

So are you going to have to do a chin on me (genioplasty)?
No, it doesn't look like it. You have a beautiful and symmetrical chin.

Can you knock me out with "happy drugs" before I go back to the O.R.?
Yep. We plan on it. Trust me, you are not old enough to know, but it is the best cocktail you will EVER have.

Do I have a choice about what I take? As of Pain meds...
Yep, other than the ibuprofen, stronger pain meds are optional. Don't try and be a en hero though. If you are in pain tell us.

How far are you moving my jaws?
We aren't sure right now. We are going to look at the x-rays, molds, pictures, and get our final measurements and plans together. We will contact you before your surgery and let you know.

Can we see a soft tissue projection of how my profile will change?
Yep. You can see it the day before when you come in.

Then we had to go get some testing done on my nerves... it is for an optional test. I am not getting the Vitamin B, but I am getting $275 for letting them test me. After I finished that up I went over to the main hospital and got some blood work done and peed in a cup. haha. It was weird. Then we met with some nurses who let us know about the pre-surgery procedure. FINALLY after that we got to leave! It took us 7 hours to leave the hospital. AHHH!

It is so close! I am so excited... I wish I could just fast forward to week 2. :P

I was also wondering if you follow this blog if you could please pray for me July 8th. If you will let me know. Leave a comment. :) I would love to know that I have people backing me up with some shout outs to the Lord. Thanks.

-Makay


5 comments:

  1. Hi Makay,
    I will be there for you on July 8th (what time)? Awesome post, very informative! What was the shot for?
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're almost there! This post is incredibly informative-- thank you!! :)

    I'm sending tons of support and luck your way!! I'll definitely be thinking about you during the next few weeks, hoping everything goes perfectly! I wish you the best!

    Please keep up your detailed jaw blogging-- even when the going gets tough. Tell all, especially some sort of pain report. Also- let us know how eating (more like slurping) goes post-surgery. I'm really worried about weight loss after surgery. Most bloggers say they lose around 10lbs. ahh!!

    Lastly-- what were the shots for?
    annnd
    you don't get a image/projection of what your face will look like until the day before?! I thought they'd give that to you much sooner. ...... glad to hear those stitches fall out without much notice! whew! what a relief!

    Once again, GOOD LUCK GIRL!! Stay strong and positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mackay! Rooting for you. Good and informative post. I have a minor jaw surgery (second of four) on July 7th. I'll be thinking of you!

    What were the shots for? I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mackey!

    I'm rooting for you too! My surgery is still 1.5 months away but I'm looking forward to reading your adventure starting on July 8th.

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mackey,
    I am getting caught up on your post. So you are ready for surgery! Great news. Btw, I didn't have any shots. Hmmm, I guess different surgeons do different things. Well anyway, I will be praying for you! Everything will be great. Sounds like you have lots of support and that is what pulled me through! Hang in there! : ) Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)