Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 46...

Hey all my faithful bloggers! :) How are you? I have been so busy, and that is good, because that means life is becoming much more normal as time goes on. Today I had a meeting and we had lunch at a local joint and I bit into my first cheeseburger! WOWZER what a historic day in my journey haha. It was great. I just bit straight through with my front teeth. I hardly make a mess anymore. It is great. Of course the occasional crumb is left on my chin and I can't feel it- that's embarrassing, but that is the worst of it. Drooling has pretty much dissipated into a non-existant issue.

Look at the difference...


I mean really? What do you sayyy! AH. :D



So time to answer some of your questions...

Did you ever have any problems with your bands? Or was it not that bad?
They weren't too bad, aside from the headaches and the pain of having to change them all the time, but no not really- they weren't that big of a deal.

Were you wearing your bands the whole time you had your splint in(except for meals)?
Yeppity Yep... I still wear bands... but only one on my right side. Before I was wearing 2 during the day... and 3 at night.

So lower jaw was moved back and upper jaw was widened. Did they widen your top jaw?
Yes my upper was brought forward 6mm, bottom back 3mm, chin forward 4mm, and top widened 2mm.

If so, did it feel like your tongue was always touching your palate?
No. It is different, but once the swelling went down I had no issue. You have to wait it out. Trust me in a week or two it will be fine... you just have to be patient with the swelling. The roof of my mouth was swollen and made it hard to swallow- that gets muchhhh better. Promise. :) (Oh, and YEAH! scarf them pancakes down!!!! They are so good. ha.)

Oh, and Brent... I will answer your question in the next post... I have to think about it a little... ha. ;)

So questions anyone? Anything? :)

Also would you be interested in a food post? I can help. haha. I know your menu can get a little mundane.

Love, Makay

14 comments:

  1. YOU LOOK GREAT!!! aaand yes, a food post would be most helpful! :) I'm tired of pastaaaa! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Thanks for answering my questions :) The bands ARE getting easier, I think it was just tough, since it was my first week. My doc says splint comes off in 2 weeks. I couldn't be happier! Glad life is going back to normal for you and I can't wait until I can bite into a hamburger! One more question? Did you ever eat with a mirror? I wonder if it's just me who has developed this weird habit, but I find it hard to guide the food into my mouth without it! Prob because I still can't open that wide. How were you able to get such an amazing ROM with your bands still in? It's impossible to stretch out the jaw with bands in! Tell me your secret haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Makay!
    No worris on my question, I know is not an easy one! (more like a riddle -HA)
    Anyway, I can't say it enough but your profile is just amazing! Did you really get your maxilla widened or just moved forward 2mm???

    Have a wonderful day!
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for answering my question. I can't wait for the inner mouth swelling to go away! I seem like I have issues swallowing, I hate feeling a swollen palate, and my bottom lip is still so swollen I almost don't believe it will go down. A food post would be awesome. My husband has been great. He is very creative with doing baby food consistency stuff I eat with a spoon. Tonight I had mashed sweet potatoes, blended meatloaf (looked awful but tasted good), and blended kale. We live in CA so we have so many great veggies and fruits here. Tomorrow I see my OS and it will be my 13th day post surg. BTW you look awesome. Another question-your nose looks wider. Do you think this is the result of the surgery or something else? Still scared to eat pancakes. Hopefully swelling goes down enough to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A food post would be sooo much help, im really running out of ideas for lunch! At the moment im eating lots of spaghetti hoops, baked beans and scrambled eggs! Im pretty much sick of all three!

    You look amazing :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to answer all your questions in my next post, but @ Brent-

    yes my top was split in half and widened 2mm... ha. The top was also pushed forward 6mm! A lot went on...

    I hope that helped clarify...

    And a food post is coming soon! :)

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lookin (and feelin) great chickpea! I love you to infinity and beyond:)
    Love,
    Aunt Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. MAKAY! I'M TYPING ALL IN CAPS BECAUSE I'M SO EXCITED AND SO PROUD OF YOU!!! YOU LOOK GORGEOUS! I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND I LOVE YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE!

    Ok that's enough...it's gonna start looking like I'm yelling at you! LOL Your transformation is amazing! Thank you for making us all feel like we were part of the journey with you. I honestly feel like I know you :)

    Guess what?! I get my braces off in 4 weeks!!! Yes 4 weeks! Sooner than planned! Thanks for always being a faithful follower...your support means a lot!
    Keep up the good posts!

    xoxo,
    Claudia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey Makay;
    you look amazing and thank you again for answering my question about the voice sounding different =)
    my question to you is, is there still swelling?
    -maya

    ReplyDelete
  10. hiyaa! firstly WOAHH!! you look absolutely STUNNINGG you must be so pleased:)congradulations:D
    anyway I wanna ask your advice!! I'm Rosa, and I've been looking at your blog for quite a while, I love it! I feel almost like I know you now:D wierd anyway!
    i'm in a really similar situation to you with the underbite open bite thing...infact it's really strange I look really similar to how you look!(how you used to look anyway)
    but I am really undecided about the surgery, It seems really scary! also I'm worried about how it would change my face, other than my bite if you get what I mean!..like the orthodontist said sometimes it can make your nose go wider..which if that happened to me I'd be really annoyed, because my nose is quite wide to start with. but yours seems fine! so hmmm i'm so undecided its crazyy, also i've already had braces for a different thing so that'd be really annoying having them again:S and also my orthodontist told me I don't need it and family and friends say the same thing, but I don't know if they're just trying to be polite!hahaa...It's such s massive thing to decide...grr I wish my jaw hadn't decided to grow so big
    xoxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't even look like the same person (not that I've ever seen you in person)! That's so crazy! Congratulations! I'm sure the journey was anything but easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. one more question. OK 2. How long did you do the salt water rinses. I am 2 weeks out from surgery and still doing them. Also, did you ever feel like the elastics were super tight? Mine were adjusted on Tuesday. I can open my mouth OK but the bands are stretched to their max and it makes my teeth and lips ache! I told my OS and he said the bands could be pulling my braces hooks and rubbing on my lips, cheeks etc so he recommended brace wax but I feel like the extra tigh bands just made my mouth even more sore and numb than it was before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look beautiful. I love your blog and all the positive vibes coming from it. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look stunning! xx
    I'm at day 47 and I can't bite through the burger just yet. Still gta cut them into smaller pieces :(

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)