Thursday, July 29, 2010

3 Weeks!!!

I am officially halfway there! Sweet! Only 3 more weeks and this splint comes off, and I am off this no-chew diet, and I will be through with rubber bands! HALLELUJAH. :) I am just glad that I have reached the peak... all down hill from here, I think the hardest part is over.

I am celebrating 3 weeks with my friend Curtman- Friends make everything better- can I get an "Amen"?! ha.



Here are some update pictures...


Okay so today I am going to discuss- EATING.

What are you eating?
So my favorite thing is probably Mashed Potatoes. I also like baked beans, and Mac and Cheese... And Ice Cream, Cream of Corn, Apple Sauce... etc.

I even ate cake at my Mom's little birthday party! And it was whole, I just cut it up and ate it normally. :) MMMM...

Are you using a syringe?
Unless you are wired shut completely (which is VERY uncommon) you need to be eating with a spoon, and taking your bands off for meals. I haven't used a syringe at all. Sure the spoon took some getting used to, but now I am fine. I am eating "soft" "non-chew" foods. Eating was VERY VERY messy for me for the first week (I had to use a mirror), but now I don't and its easy. So don't worry if you struggle at first- it gets better. I also found disposable plastic spoons easier to eat with than metal because it is thinner... Let me know how this works for you.

How many meals do you eat a day?
Usually 3... with a snack in between the 2nd and 3rd meal. :) haha.

I hope I answered you question Sarah... let me know if I didn't or you need more information! :) I am glad to explain. :)

Thanks to all my WONDERFUL followers for asking questions and leaving me encouraging comments! You have no idea how much they mean to me! They keep me going, and blogging- keep being awesome!

So... anything else? Questions? :)

LOVE, Makay


8 comments:

  1. It's really great seeing you make improvements with things just a few days ahead of me :)

    I do want to point out, though, that people should only take their bands off if instructed by their surgeon. In my own situation (I'm on day 20 post-op), my surgeon still wants me wearing the few rubber bands I have on 24/7. You can still use a spoon with bands on, though, it just takes more practice.

    Here's to hoping our swelling is completely gone soon!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. aight. I didn't know that- most people I know who have had this surgery take off their bands- or at least the ones in the front, but most DEF listen to your surgeon...ha.

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  3. The before/after picture is looking great (jealous)! Keep up the hard work of recovery! A few questions -- where are you still numb? Did you have headaches before the surgery and, if so, are they gone now? How far can you open your mouth now? Do you still have to sleep sitting up? Still have to use ice for swelling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look marvelous! Great to see you really smile again.Getting back with your friends again is just what you needed. Maybe french fries are just a few weeks away mmmmmm
    Love you
    Ree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! You look GREAT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. makay! u are looking so much better! and u really look much prettier now :) few more wks down and ur swelling will go away! but sadly my blocked nose is still there...i duno for wat reason...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey dude! Thank you for the post! Very helpful. It made me realize I need to give my doc a call and ask him a few more questions! I actually don't know if I can take my bands off.....I was under the impression that I can't because I feel like they would have told me and taught me how to otherwise. I go in on Monday to see my Surgeon and my Orthodontist so I'm going to make sure and get that cleared up then. So yes, I have been eating/drinking everythinggggg through a syringe. I think that's why I've been getting bummed out, because it's so hard and time consuming. I feel like every second of the day I'm eating or working on my hygiene. haha

    As for the congestion, yes I have the afrin and sudafed and I also have my prescription of singular(helps with allergies) and flonase! So I'm taking a lottt of stuff. But yesterday was so horrible that I really want to make sure I kick this congestion stuff in the butt! I'm also going to start being more active. I mean, I've been doing my walks but I've still been lying around a lot. I think I'll feel better if I get out and start doing stuff. It is time.

    Also, I'm semi taking the pain meds. I've been switching between motrin and the meds depending on my pain. The stomach issues I think are coming from a poor diet though. I haven't been eating enough calories at all, cuz it's so hard! I'm going to eat like a lot a lot today and hopefully this helps!!

    Whew! Sorry for such a long response....maybe I should have emailed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't get wired shut?! Dang lucky, I got wired shut for 12 days so I get unwired in 2 more days :) how were you able to eat right after surgery?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)