Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Trip Through HELL...

Okay so this morning I woke up and I looked like this...

WHAT THE HECK!?!!?!?!?!?! It is day 17? AHHHH!

I know this is a long "tale" but it has a lot of info...

Later I was cold, and feeling pretty crappy.... so we took my temp... 100. :O AHHH. So of course we freak out and call the hospital for the Resident on call. Dr. Politano decided it would be best for me to come in. So we did. We had to go to the ER because the clinic was closed. He did a thorough examination (WHICH HURTTTT because he was pushing on what the problem was). After poking, prodding, and causing me pain Dr. Politano confirmed the worse. I have an infection... :(

Of course we wanted to know what we was going to have to be done. First I hoped it would be some oral antibiotics, but I was wrong...

This is what they did.

They took me to this oral surgery room with a bunch of scary equipment and a gigantic chair in the middle- anything BUT fluffy bunnies on the walls...

While I was completely awake and aware (as I would be for the whole procedure) Dr. Politano gave me some numbing shots WHICH HURT. Just saying. After the second one though it was numb and just pressure. Then he waited for the numbness to kick in...

After that he sliced a hole in between my cheek and gum where the "gumball" of swelling as he described it was... As soon as he sliced it open fluid and (sorry I have to say it) pus came out... a LOT. It had to be disgusting to see, but Dr. Politano found some sort of joy and excitement out of it. He kept telling the residents "LOOK, come look... pus... see..."

Then he started pushing on the swelling and my jaw trying to release some of the fluid and pus through the hole. This HURT the worse. I started sobbing and he coached me through it though, "Makay we are almost there, just deep breaths, I know it hurts but you are going to feel so much better!" And he kept pushing.

After the pushing and suctioning ended he stuck a tube in the hole and stitched it in (So it stays open) this is going to let oxygen in (killing bacteria/infection) and helping to drain the fluids. GROSS.

This was what I look like after the procedure... (Excuse the appearance... 1.) I am sick and feel like crap 2.) I just had my mouth sliced open and a tube stuck in and a bunch of other stuff 3.) I am tired. haha. Bear with me. ;) )

Oh, and here is a 1/2 smile to let you all know I am okay... not dying...


Here I will put the side by side comparison up... See the difference already?


This infection is a 5% chance out of ALL cases... But if you experience any symptoms like fever, achy joints, and alot of extra swelling CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!! Dr. Politano put me back on antibiotics for another week along with the tube. I pray this infection is gone soon.

I am glad we resolved the mysterious swelling because it would have gotten a LOT worse and I feel like now I am back on track with recovering. THANK GOD.

Feel free to ask questions...

and sorry, but the Brushing teeth tutorial will come tomorrow... I got side tracked with this whole infection thing.

I am glad to say I made it through hell... haha.

Love, Makay

13 comments:

  1. Omg, Makay ... I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thank God for good doctors! Hopefully now your recovery will progress even faster. Feel better and keep up the awesome attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makay -
    I am so sorry to hear of this news...keep praying for this to pass and it will (I will too). I am glad that you have good doctors and parents that took you in straight away! Keep your spirts up!!
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch :( That made me cringe just reading about it. You're brave for going through it! And now it's over.. so that's always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. keep it going makay! you're a brave girl! i was just wondering is your surgery a more major one than mine cause i resumed my normal diet in one week time and the swelling has gone down 70% already. did you had a upper jaw surgery as well? and im looking forward to your brushing tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Makay!
    Hopefully I didn't pass you MY infection via the internet :) I'm on Clindamycin and so far I don't notice that much improvement.

    I'm sorry this happened and I'm glad you went and were seen! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @melon-
    Yes. I had upper jaw surgery (moved forward 6mm), Bottom (moved back 3mm), Split the roof of my mouth and was widened (top pallate), and genioplasty (moved forward 4mm). SOOOOOO... that is alot. Maybe that's why no chewing for 6 weeks. And the reason my swelling spiked again was because of the infection- it was down like 50% BY DAY 8.. Then it went back up... ughhhhh... I will make it though. Just glad I am back on the road to recovery.

    @Jen-
    I am on the same antibiotics right now... did they put the drain in for you!?!? My doc said the antibiotics are virtually ineffective without the drain.

    THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS! You guys always make me feel better.

    Love, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw sweetie I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. You poor thing. You are one brave, brave girl! Love you and thinking about you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! I'm SO sorry that happened! Feel better soon! It's good that they solved the issue...just keep thinking it'll get better from here because it will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God that you went to the doctor!!!I was worried about the swelling getting better and then worse. Back and forth from one extreme to the other. When healing is going on, any swelling should be continuously going down unless there is a problem, which is what you had. I know that it hurt you, Baby, and I am sorry. It is terrible to have to be tortured in order to get better. I love you.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Doll!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I'm so proud of you for going through this...this is major surgery and you are doing and looking amazing! I hope you feel better soon and get over this infection...my thoughts and prayers are with you always :)

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aay ya ya! That sounds nasty! I'm so pleased you are alright now! Hopefully the rest of recovery will be plain-sailing. I have to say your blog has helped me a lot and i like checking in every couple of days to see how you are doing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no grl! I am so sorry that happened. At least now you're in the clear and can start focusing again on recovery. And now that swelling will go down, yay!! I've had a really rough day. Like it's so rough I don't even want to put it in a blog, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be better. You help give me strength!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are one strong girlie. I am so distressed knowing what you are going through and not being able to help you.You and Mom and Dad are all real troupers.I pray that this problem will resolve now and the rest of your recovery will be uneventful.I hate knowing that you are hurting and anxious, but I know that you are in good hands and God is watching over you. Love you, Ree

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)