Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 10...

I am celebrating my "double digits" at my Nana and Papa's house... Yes I just travelled 7 hours only a week and 1/2 after jaw surgery. No, it was not easy. I was starving by the time I got here. But my Nana made me some mashed potatoes, so I felt better. ha.

My Mema is dying. My Mother's grandma, so we wanted to be here. So we will be here for 4-5 days which means no picture updates... because her computer doesn't have a camera- and she doesn't have wi-fi so I can't use my computer... when I get home how I look will be a surprise. Till then I will keep you updated on how I feel... and I will continue to answer you questions.

Brent asked:
How have you been sleeping?
Suprisingly well. The first night I only got like 3 hours of dosing, because the stinkin' nurses kept coming in to check my "vital signs" and shoot medications in my IV... but once I was home the 2nd night I slept 6 hours straight. Then 8 from the 3rd night on. Which is really well. I have been OUT. This surgery drains your energy, and I am ready to just conk out by 10pm. haha.
Have you been sleeping propped up?
YES YES YES YES!!! Sleep elevated. This is verrrrrry important because it helps the swelling go down. If you sleep flat on your back your face will be the size of a large watermelon by morning. I am sure your surgeon will remind you, but sleep ELEVATED. haha. And yes. A recliner works well. I slept in the recliner for the first 3 nights home. It worked out very well. :)
Who was your primary care taker for the first week?
My Mom. Haha. And my Dad too. Dr. wise it was Dr. Turvey with his cheif resident Dr. Politano. But yes my parents took care of me, and all that. It worked out. Let me know if this isn't what your wife wanted to know... because I am not exactly sure what you are asking.
What did the primary care taker provide you with for the first 48 hours-week?
My Mom and Dad's main job was food and medication. That's about it. My mom helped me shower the first day (washing my hair). I was pretty independent past the first 3-4 days. You will have a lot of meds to keep track of, so my rents made a little schedule chart to help remind us. It helped I would recommend doing that. My mom and dad took shifts and slept with me for the first 3 nights (when I was in the recliner) so they could give me meds and let me feel safe.
I hope I answered all your questions. Let me know if I didn't or if you need more info. Glad to help! :)
Questions anyone? Ask away....
-Makay

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for answering these questions. I am trying to collect as much information as possible, so I can be prepared to give Brent the absolute best care after his surgery. I don't want him to suffer needlessly and I want him to heal as quickly as possible.

    Any details about specific things that brought you the most relief at difficult times during your post-surgery healing would be most appreciated.

    Best Regards,

    Pattie a.k.a. Mrs. Brent

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I am very sorry to hear that your Mema is dying. I hope that you and your family will find endless comfort and strength in your love for each other during this sad time.

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! It's great to see you're doing so well, and it's even better to see how strong you're being, i.e. such a long car journey! my surgery is TOMORROW I can't believe it's finally here. It is very reassuring reading your blog and knowing your a few days ahead in the recovery process!

    -isolde

    P.S., I'm so sorry to hear about your great grandmother. My thoughts go to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Pattie (Mrs. Brent)...

    Do not worry. He will be fine, and you will be suprised at how well he is doing (words straight from my mother haha). Some things that helped me was ice... keep ice on for the first 48 hours. Make sure he is drinking enough... give him some sprite, or water all the time. Make sure you get him up and walking around (that helped me TREMENDOUSLY!). Oh, and get him to get a shower as soon as he can (make sure to be nearby in case he gets a little dizzy.) I did one time because it was so steamy... The showers though make you feel human again. It is great. By Day 5 get him out of the house. I went to the mall, but just take him somewhere he can walk. Getting out does a lot for your moral. :)

    I hope I am helping. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

    -Makay

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)