Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 5...

Omgosh! It is day 5! Okay... I feel a little better today. Other than the swelling in my lips is up. UGH. Here look...

SWELLING!!! I DEMAND YOU GO AWAY!!!!!! I just want it gone. I am tired of looking like someone hit my face with sledgehammer. I hope it is down faster soon. First 3 days after surgery is prime swelling days, so tomorrow should be better.

Okay so do you wanna know what is a must? I have been living off of:

BOOST <------ great drink, full of protein, and vitamins. And it goes down my throat well
Blended Spaghetti O's <------ OMGOSH, wanna curb your hunger? Eat this. It is so good. :) MMM. just brush well after.
Chocolate Ice Cream <-------- mmmmmm. :) This is self explanatory. DELICIOUS.
Sprite <------- It is good, fizz feels good on my throat.

So that has been the main diet. Really good. I also had mash potatoes, but if you do that, make sure to water em down a bit so you don't choke they are kinda like glue.

Eating is like a 1 hour process. I have to take my bands off (PAIN IN THE BUTT! and it hurts because my lips have to be stretched to reach the back.) and then you have to brush really well after, which takes even more time. UGH. It is uber annoying. Make sure you are drugged up on Motrin or Tylenol before you go through all that.

And you know my Jaw bra? Well it was making my face swell up more because of the pressure, and I couldn't breathe or talk well, so my mom called Dr. Turvey. He said, "No need to make her miserable, just don't wear it anymore" so I was thrilled. Practically jumping for JOY! :)

Anyways. I am doing a little better. Pray for swelling to go down, and drooling to stop. I am starting to see a turn up hill. :)

-Makay

10 comments:

  1. If you can tolerate this, put a cool washclothe to your lips, every so often. Make it as cool as you can stand. Having to pull on your mouth for the bands is not helping the swelling, but I know that you have to do this, in order to get anything in your tummy. Try the cool clothe, though, it may help. Also,if you can tolerate the cool clothe to your face, it may help your facial swelling. I am so happy that you are getting some nourishment in, though. I love you, Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Makay -
    Here is another suggestion for your lips...try using the Neosporin Ointment (get the antiseptic/anesthetic) for your lips...not only is it an ointment, but also the anesthetic can help with the pain. When I get bad chapped lips that is what I do.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    Regards,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there-
    Apply heat to your face and neck - my OS had me to that after the first 48 hours or so to help the swelling reduce. It worked for me.

    You're so lucky to be able to brush you teeth already! I wasn't allowed till after the first week. Anyway, hang in there, it all gets better!

    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the dreaded jaw bra - the misery they put you through! Icing is a necessary evil though if you want that swelling to go down quick, so I put my ice packs in an old stocking (I think it's called hose in the US) and tied it loosely around my head. Not pretty but at least I was getting some ice on there without squeezing my face.

    So hang in there, your darkest days are behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being with you those first days really showed me WHO you really are. Your courage and perserverance and faith are way beyond your age.I am so proud to be your grandmother.You always have and always will be so very beautiful inside and out to me.
    I love you with all of my heart
    Ree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makay!

    I finally found a way to read your blog on my phone, but I can't comment unless I'm on my computer (which I am now, day off number 2!). I'm so glad that everything went well and that you are on your way to recovery!! I had the same issues with breathing...I think that was the major contributor to my sleeping problems...and it was just that my throat felt so small and coated with mucus. I started using Mucinex DM and that worked wonders! I also had problems with drooling and there's really nothing you can do about it, :(. Once the swelling comes down in your lips and you regain some of the feeling in your lip and chin, it will stop.

    I'll keep on reading your blog and being frustrated that I can't comment! And, I'll keep thinking of you during your recovery! I'll be sure to comment next time I get to go on the internet!

    Much Love,

    Stefane

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look amazing! even with the swelling.. God i pray the best for you and a speedy recovery
    as i keep reading your blog, i realize you are helpin me soooo much. i too will be undergoing double jaw surgery pretty soon, i hope and its really nice to get a heads up.
    and your allowed to drink sprite??? ahhh im saved now

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing so awesome! We are so proud of you. That's fantastic that you are able to get some nourishment and brush your teeth already. I know it's a pain, but it's fantastic you are able to do this already. You are such a trooper girl. We love you and continue to think about you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boost was so yummy when I couldn't eat! Although make sure you brush really well since it's a dairy product. I also lessened the concentration of the Boost (because there's so much sugar in it!) by mixing it with milk. MMM.

    You look really great btw! You're past the storm now! Haha.

    Hope you feel better,
    Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makay! I'm so so proud of you and all that you've been through! You look so good! and your attitude is great! Wishing you well and thinking of you daily!

    xoxo,
    Claudia :P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave me a message. :)